Elecctricians Greenville, SCOne of the main reasons we stress that electrical repairs in your home or business should never be a “DIY” is because we know the serious dangers of electrical issues. Electricity is one of the most dangerous hazards within a home or business as it can destroy property, objects, and people. We like to make sure you are covered when it comes to common electrical safety tips, so make sure you’re doing everything you can to be covered in the unfortunate event of an electrical issue.

Always be on the lookout to avoid:

  • Frayed or worn electric cords
  • Electrical appliances kept plugged in near showers, baths, or sinks
  • Extension cords being used instead of permanent indoor/outdoor wiring
  • Wet floors present where electricity is used
  • Electrical appliances that blow fuses, overheat, or spark heavily

The following is a comprehensive list of electrical do’s and don’ts. We all like to be the repairman, but some things need to be left to the professionals.

Electrical Safety Do’s:

  • DO keep plug-in covers over your outlets to prevent children from poking objects in the outlets or sticking their hands in them
  • DO have a licensed electrician install a safety switch inside the house to replace your external fuse box
  • DO call a licensed electrician for repairs needed to switches, power points, or light fittings
  • DO make sure you unplug all appliances after use (excluding refrigerators, washing machines, and dishwashers)
  • DO send faulty appliances to be repaired or throw them out

Electrical Safety Don’ts:

  • DON’T repair any frayed, worn, or damaged cords with tape—throw them away
  • DON’T unplug an appliance by holding the cord and jerking it out of the outlet; always used the plug
  • DON’T leave small appliances plugged in when not in use (hair dryers, toaster ovens, etc)
  • DON’T allow outdoor appliances to come in contact with pools or water. DON’T allow indoor appliances to be near any water, either.
  • DON’T touch your appliances or switches if you have wet hands

Are You Overloading Your Circuits?

A major problem we see in homes is overloaded circuits, one of the main causes of residential fires. Signs of an overloaded circuit include:

  • Flickering, blinking, or dimming lights
  • Frequently tripped circuit breakers or blown fuses
  • Cracking, sizzling, or buzzing from receptacles
  • Burning odor coming from receptacles or wall switches
  • Mild shock or tingle from appliances, receptacles, or switches

Preventing Overloaded Circuits:

  • Never use extension cords or multi-outlet converters for appliances in your home
  • All major appliances should be plugged directly into a wall receptacle outlet. Pro-tip: Only plug one heat-producing appliance into a receptacle outlet at a time.
  • If you rely on multiple extension cords, your home may not be conducive to your needs. Have a qualified electrician inspect your home and add new outlets.
  • Power strips only add additional outlets; they do not change the amount of power being received from the outlet

We get that it’s not always convenient to call a professional out to fix the problem in your home or commercial business, but we want you to know it’s ALWAYS convenient for us to come to you and fix the problem. Safety is important for us, and we want your family to be kept safe at all times. Over the years, we have fixed electrical panels, circuits, outlets and switches, lighting, ceiling fans, exhaust fans, bonding issues, generators, GFCIs, AFCIs, renovations, pools and hot tubs. We can take care of your needs as well. Give Hot Wire Electric a call at (864) 679-4444 or schedule service online. We will be the reason all your electrical needs in Greenville, SC and the surrounding Upstate are handled with expert care.